MPOWER Review: Private Student Loans for International Students
MPOWER Financing reviews can help you to determine if this lender is right for you. Read on to learn if you should get MPOWER student loans to fund your degree.
MPOWER Financing provides loans for international students studying in the U.S. or Canada. MPOWER student loans are available to DACA recipients as well. These loans do not require a co-signer and are available to students from more than 190 countries of citizenship.
MPOWER Financing reviews can help you to determine if these loans are right for you. Read on to learn more about how this lender works and whether you should get MPOWER loans to fund your degree.
MPOWER Financing Reviews: MPOWER Student Loans at a Glance
MPOWER Loans Pros
- Loans are available to international students with no co-signer: Most lenders limit financing to U.S. citizens or permanent residents or require U.S.-based co-signers for international students. MPOWER does not.
- No credit check is required to qualify for MPOWER student loans: This makes loan approval easier, as many student loan lenders require a U.S.-based credit score that is in the high 600s at a minimum.
- More loan options than some competitors. Some of the other lenders offering loans to international students restrict funding to grad students. MPOWER offers loans for undergraduate and graduate students.
MPOWER Loans Cons
- Students must be within two years of graduating to qualify for MPOWER student loans: This may mean borrowers need to find other funding sources for the first years of their schooling if they are earning a four-year degree.
- Repayment is required while in school: While many student loan lenders allow borrowers to defer payments while they complete their degree, MPOWER doesn't offer that option. This means borrowers must have the money to make payments while enrolled in their academic program.
- Only one loan repayment option: You must repay your MPOWER loan over 10 years. Many other student loan lenders offer more flexibility, with competitors offering repayment terms ranging from five to 20 years.
MPOWER Student Loans: Interest rates, fees, and terms
MPOWER Reviews: Loan Options
MPOWER provides fixed-rate loans for:
- Undergraduate or graduate students within two years of earning a degree
- International students, DACA recipients, refugees, asylum-seekers and U.S. citizens
International graduate students will pay a fixed interest rate of 11.99% as of Oct. 18, 2021. That is before discounts. The rate comes down to 10.49% with an autopay discount as well as a discount for reporting proof of graduation and employment and for making six automatic payments on time.
International undergraduate students have a fixed rate of 13.99% before discounts as of Oct. 18, 2021. The rate can come down to 12.49% after discounts.
U.S. citizens, permanent residents and DACA graduate students will pay a fixed rate of 7.99% before discounts and 6.49% after discounts as of Oct. 18, 2021, while undergrad students in these demographic groups pay a rate of 9.99%, which comes down to 8.49% after discounts.
MPOWER Loan Requirements
Credit score is not considered, and MPOWER doesn't disclose a minimum income requirement, as the lender considers many data points, including future income potential. Some requirements you'll need to fulfill to qualify for an MPOWER loan include the following:
- Have citizenship from one of the more than 190 countries that MPOWER works with
- Attend an eligible U.S.-based four-year degree program
- Go to school at least half time
MPOWER Loan Repayment Terms
All MPOWER loans have a 10-year repayment timeline, unlike many competitors that provide more flexibility in how long borrowers have to repay their student debt.
MPOWER Student Loan Repayment Options
MPOWER requires interest-only payments as soon as loans have been disbursed. That means those payments must be made even while students are in school. Full payments are deferred on MPOWER loans while students complete their degree and for six months after graduation.
Alternatives to a MPOWER Student Loan
While international students have fewer options for securing school financing, MPOWER student loans can help ensure that borrowers living abroad are able to find a way to pay for their degrees. MPOWER reviews highlight this as a major benefit of MPOWER student loans.
MPOWER isn't the only lender to consider, though. Students need to shop around to make sure they're getting the most affordable loan options. Juno can help. Juno works with partner lenders offering private student loans for undergraduates, private student loans for graduate students and student loan refinance loans.
When you join Juno, you'll join a group of borrowers looking for the most competitive loan rates. Juno negotiates on behalf of these groups, and partner lenders compete for their business. This method of collective bargaining helps ensure each borrower gets the most affordable loans possible with the most competitive terms available.
Join Juno today to learn more about how we can help you fund your education by finding the loans that are right for you.
Christy Rakoczy Bieber
Christy Rakoczy Bieber is a full-time personal finance and legal writer. She is a graduate of UCLA School of Law and the University of Rochester. Christy was previously a college teacher with experience writing textbooks and serving as a subject matter expert.
Related ArticlesView All Articles
20 Most Valuable Majors in 2021
Trying to figure out the return for your money for various college majors? Here are the 20 most valuable degrees in 2021 as well as some key takeaways.Read more
USAA Student Loans Are No Longer Offered: Here Are the Best Alternatives
If you’re looking for USAA student loans, they’re no longer an option. Read on to learn about the best alternatives to USAA student loans.Read more
Best MBA Internships Ranked
An MBA internship can help you gain experience and stand out from your peers. Read on to learn about the best MBA internships and how to land one.Read more
Education Loan Finance Review: Student Loan Refinancing and Private Student Loans
Read this Education Loan Finance review to learn about the company’s options for student loan refinancing and private student loans.Read more
Splash Financial Review: Student Loan Refinancing
Splash Financial is a student loan refinancing marketplace featuring multiple lenders. Learn more about if Splash student loan refinancing is right for you.Read more
Student Loan Refinance Rates Comparison All Lenders
We have assembled a list of rates across all of the student loan refinance companies as of December 21, 2021.Read more